Mission Community Services Society is seeking an Executive Director
Mission Community Services Society (MCSS) is seeking an experienced Executive Director with strong strategic leadership, community engagement, and stakeholder relations skills. Based in Mission, BC, this role is an exciting opportunity to lead one of the largest social services organizations in Mission through its next stage of growth.
The Executive Director (ED) develops organizational strategy, sound practices, and supportive relationships – internally and externally – that align with MCSS’s mission. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the ED is responsible for the successful leadership and management of MCSS, working to realize the organization’s goals as laid out in the Strategic Plan. The ED provides overall direction and guidance to staff and oversees MCSS’s vision and mission. With a clear vision for the continued growth and success of the MCSS, the ED is accountable for excellence in programs and services, organizational financial sustainability, and offer community leadership in the Mission area.
The ED works closely with the community partners, local and provincial government, donors, funders, and volunteers for the betterment of MCSS and the greater community. The ED also provides visionary leadership to MCSS, supports the amazing MCSS team in their roles, and creates a positive workplace culture.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, The Executive Director in the interest of quality programs and services, this position is responsible for strategic leadership, collaborative and supportive people management, and oversight in the following areas:
- Organizational Development and Workplace Culture
- Strategic and Operational Planning
- Board Relationship and Collaboration
- Strategic Community and Stakeholder Relations
- Financial Integrity and Risk Mitigation
Qualifications and Competencies:
Education and Experience
- 5 to 7 years of professional experience in leadership and people-management roles working in complex environments and serving diverse communities, ideally with experience leading in a non-profit environment.
- A degree in non-profit management, business, psychology, or social justice is an asset but not required.
Knowledge, Abilities, and Leadership Style
- Demonstrates professionalism while under stressful circumstances;
- Inspires and motivates others;
- Adapts to complex, changing situations and political environments;
- Solicits and accepts constructive feedback respectfully and professionally;
- Proactively deals with conflict
- Exercises good judgement and maturity in relationships;
- Maintains high standards of ethics, honesty and integrity;
- Strong human resources skills supported by emotional intelligence;
- Exceptional people leadership skills and the ability to create and sustain an equitable and psychologically safe workplace and adapt management style to a diverse staff;
- Ability to galvanize people both within the organization and within the community through communicating a strong vision and strategic direction;
- Strong external communication skills;
- Strong skills in implementing a fund development strategy;
- Strong financial management and budgeting skills;
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills;
- Strong change management skills and understanding of systemic change;
- Excellent conflict management and de-escalation skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to set boundaries effectively and kindly;
- Strong understanding of governance and experience reporting to or working closely with a Board of Directors; and
- Ability to implement operations and decisions in a political environment.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
The Executive Director is a full-time position within a strong values-based organizational culture. This position requires a high level of team collaboration, yet also requires significant autonomy.
Travel to MCSS sites and occasional travel for MCSS meetings will be required. Evening and weekend work are occasionally required.
The Executive Director position receives a comprehensive compensation package, which includes a competitive salary, extended health benefits, and RRSP contribution.
Mission Community Services Society strives for meaningful employment from all communities and for its team to reflect the diversity of the communities it serves. First Nations, people of colour, and people across spectrums of gender, sexuality, age, and abilities are encouraged to apply.
Mission Community Services Society thanks all applicants for their interest in this position.
This search is conducted by Realize Strategies on behalf of Mission Community Services Society. We thank all applicants for your interest in this position.