Out On Screen is seeking an Executive Director
Out On Screen in Vancouver, BC is currently accepting applications for an experienced Executive Director with strong people leadership and advocacy skills, as well as experience with non-profit organizations and the LGBT2Q+ community. This is an opportunity to lead a growing organization whose mission is to illuminate, celebrate, and advance queer lives through film, education, and dialogue.
The Executive Director provides essential leadership in advancing the organization’s strategic direction, workplace culture, and stakeholder relationships. This position is entrusted with the fulfillment of the mission, vision, and strategic plan of the organization, and is the lead staff person for organizational governance. Further, this role is the key and leading role for the business of the organization, and involves planning, organizing, directing, controlling, and administering all Society operations.
This high-profile position requires a dynamic, adaptive, and resourceful leader who, amidst an ever-changing environment, inspires committed engagement in diverse communities, staff, and board alike. The Executive Director is a strong people leader with the emotional intelligence needed to foster a safe and supportive environment for staff through proactive conflict management. Further, the Executive Director leads with an anti-oppression lens, in both practice and approach. The Executive Director’s leadership is consistent with the Society’s Vision, Mission, Guiding Principles, Values, Governance/Operational Policies, and Strategic Plan.
This position is responsible for ensuring quality events, programs, and services through strategic leadership, collaborative and supportive people management, and oversight in the following areas:
- Advancing the Strategic Direction, Workplace Culture, and Stakeholder Relations.
- Philanthropic Cultivation and Stewardship.
- Strategic Community Relations.
- Financial Integrity.
- Strategic Planning.
- Risk Mitigation.
- Reporting to the Board, Board Relationship and Collaboration.
Please review the Job Description for the full list of duties and responsibilities.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- A degree in social justice, business, non-profit management, or equivalent experience.
Experience and Competencies
- 5 to 7 years of professional experience in a leadership role working in complex environments and serving diverse communities, including the LGBT2Q+ community.
- Strong understanding of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) principles, as well as anti-oppression and social justice frameworks, and an ability to communicate those effectively.
- Ability to galvanize people both within the organization and within the community.
- Exceptional people leadership skills.
- Strong skills implementing a fund development strategy.
- Strong financial management and budgeting skills.
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- Strong change management skills and experience/understanding of systemic change.
- Excellent conflict management and de-escalation skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Skills and experience with trauma-informed workplaces.
- Ability to set boundaries effectively and kindly.
- Strong, proactive, and sensitive HR competencies.
- Strong understanding of governance and experience reporting to or working closely with a Board of Directors.
- Ability to adapt management style to diverse staff.
- Ability to implement operations and decisions in a political environment.
This search is conducted by Realize Strategies on behalf of Out On Screen. We thank all applicants for your interest in this position.