Habitat for Humanity Southeast BC is seeking an Executive Director
Habitat for Humanity Southeast BC (Habitat Southeast BC) is currently accepting applications for an experienced Executive Director with strong leadership, strategy, and community engagement skills. The Executive Director works from Castlegar, BC. This is an opportunity to lead one of Habitat for Humanity’s largest (geographic) Habitat affiliate in Canada, that has a new strategic focus to continue growing and provide greater service across the Kootenay-Boundary region. As part of a national and global organization, the ED has access to resources, professional development, and support from other affiliates and Habitat for Humanity Canada.
The Executive Director works to achieve the organization’s mission to create home ownership opportunities for eligible families within our service area of southeastern British Columbia. This role provides overall leadership to advance the organization’s strategic and operational direction, workplace culture, and stakeholder relationships. The Executive Director is responsible for the oversight of day-to-day operations of Habitat Southeast BC, managing employees, volunteers, and ReStore operations. As a high-profile community leader, the Executive Director advocates to stakeholders, governments, donors, and the media to advance the organization’s vision, mission, and strategic priorities. The Executive Director is responsible for leading and facilitating the cohesion of internal and external stakeholders across the geographical scope of the Kootenay-Boundary region. This includes developing external partnerships and fundraising opportunities, pursuing external funding, gifts in kind, and land acquisition opportunities, managing building projects, and implementing strategic initiatives as directed by the Board.
Habitat Southeast BC’s business is challenging, encompassing many operational aspects of a charity, a profit-based retail sales outlet, a residential landlord, and a construction company, and providing service to a large geographic area in the southern interior of BC. This is a key position within the organization, requiring a wide range of skills and abilities to fulfill advocacy, fundraising, strategic and operational goals.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is accountable for the following:
- Overall strategic leadership and day-to-day operational management of all aspects of the organization.
- Cultivating and maintaining effective partnerships with stakeholders, governments, donors, media, corporations, and non-profit organizations.
- Advancing a positive workplace culture that is consistent with the organization’s vision, mission, and values.
- Leading fund development plans to realize the organization’s programming goals.
- Building community and strategic partnerships and acting as the organization’s principal spokesperson and community ambassador, in order to advance its vision, mission, and mandate.
- Building and maintaining a professional and collaborative relationship with the volunteer Board of Directors.
Please review the Role Description for the full list of duties and responsibilities.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- A baccalaureate degree or diploma in a relevant discipline (e.g., business, community development, or human services), or a trade certification in a relevant building trade.
Experience and Competencies
- At least 5 years management and leadership experience, preferably in a non-profit setting.
- Professional experience in business, budget management, retail, social enterprise management, and fundraising campaigns.
- Strong people management skills and experience with all aspects of Human Resource management, including the recruitment, orientation, teambuilding, and recognition of employees and a volunteer workforce.
- Strong relationship building skills and experience working collaboratively and effectively with other Habitat Affiliates, community stakeholders and organizations, municipal and provincial government agencies, corporate sponsors, and major manufacturers/suppliers of building materials.
- Strong fund development skills.
- Experience prioritizing and implementing strategic initiatives with clear, prescribed outcomes.
- Ability to lead an idea from development to implementation to assessment.
- Experience with and the ability to work collaboratively and effectively with a board of directors and its committees.
- Experience working with partner families on social and financial development in a highly confidential environment.
- Strong change management skills and ability to help grow an organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Proficient with standard office software and technology (e.g., Word, Excel, and social media platforms).
- As the position involves construction management, must be physically fit and able to work in an outdoor environment.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 Driver’s License and a vehicle insured for work purposes, as travel to other locations within the service region is required.
- Must consent to a Criminal Record Check as required.
- Current or previous connection and understanding of the Kootenay-Boundary region is an asset.
This search is conducted by Realize Strategies on behalf of Habitat for Humanity Southeast BC. We thank all applicants for your interest in this position.